Friday, December 20, 2013

Off To The Vet

My favourite pet store has a vet and animal hospital attached, and a grooming centre too.  I booked our girls in for a little check up on the Friday after we brought them home.



Then spent all week wondering if I was going to be able to get them from their cage to the cat carrier.  Hubby has done all the hands on catching bit so far.  I had a couple of tries during the week but they're skittish little things and my arms are at full stretch to get to the back corner of the cage so makes it a little tricky.

I've been spending a bit of time researching on a few guinea pig forums and have joined a particularly friendly one.  (Guinea Pig Forum UK.)  One of the lovely folk there offered this suggestion:  "Will the cat carrier fit in the cage?"   Genius!! 

So on the Friday the kids and I got all the bits and pieces out ready for a full cage clean and all new bedding.  Then I took all the stuff out of the cage and popped the carrier in.  30 seconds or so and they'd all scooted inside so I could just close the door and lift it out.  Voila.  Rather relieved!!


I emptied all the old wood shavings and carefresh into a garbage bag and gave the plastic base a good clean.  A light spray of half vinegar and half water then left it to dry while we headed to the vets.

They all got a weigh and a check up.  All fine.  Teeth looking good.  A little dose of Invermectin on the back of the head just in case of mites or anything.  $60 in total.  The vet seemed lovely and familiar with guinea pigs.  Handy having one so close by and open 7 days.  Hopefully we won't need it often but good to know it is there just in case.  

Then back in the carrier and home again.  


Clean newspaper into the cage then fresh bedding.  Some vegies to tempt them out of the carrier after a stressful morning.  And a new wooden house too since the pet store was having a 20% off everything sale. 


I'll have to practice my catching skills!  Might be easier in our new guinea pig C and C palace.  Coming soon ......

Cheers, Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Around The Cage - January

Hi I'm Cinnamon - I'm heading to our rest area to visit my friend Mitty.  Can you spot her there?  She's a little shy and lik...